Monday, February 4, 2013

Welcome to Gigi 2.0


Today I was LISTED for my double lung transplant and I created this blog to serve as a space to provide updates on my progress.  Exactly how I have arrived at this point is a looooooong story that I will try to share in pieces to get everyone up to speed.  For today I will focus on what is imminent...

I have been at Duke University Hospital since Oct 20th when I started the lengthy process of evaluation for a lung transplant.  My parents and I  (and miss juju bear too of course) have  temporarily relocated to an apartment in Durham NC just minutes away from the hospital.  The preparation for transplant has been rigorous: two hospital stays, non-stop IV antibiotics, two successful feeding tube procedures (and a few unsuccessful attempts), 5 days a week of 3hr a day physical therapy sessions, many many doctor, surgeon and nutritionist appointments and what seems like a million tests.  But I have made it through and now I am stronger, fatter, and ready to move forward with what will be to date the most important step of my life, my new lungs and upgrade to Gigi 2.0.
Being listed means that I am on the national waiting list for a lung transplant.  This evening forward, I will be anxiously awaiting a phone call that could come at any time of day alerting me that they have found matching lungs and I need to report for duty at Duke hospital immediately.  I will then be prepped for surgery and then we will wait and wait and wait to find out if the lungs are good and the surgery is a go.  
Stay tuned for more details about what lies ahead for Gigi 2.0  and for immediate notice when I receive "The Call".
In the meantime, I've started a little project collecting photos online.  Whenever I am in the hospital I love to look through old photos of good times, exciting trips, cute babies (furry and normal) and anything that reminds me of all the beautiful moments in life out there to be had beyond the hospital walls.  I would love it you helped me to build this album by emailing photos to my album.  Send anything you like, as many as you like. There is no limit and I'd love to see lots and lots of photos to keep me motivated in the difficult weeks following surgery!  Here are more details:
Email photos to gigistransplant@yogile.com
You may email multiple photos at once. Please put your caption and name in the subject line.  If using an iPhone, please select size medium or larger. 
To view the album in progress or to confirm your photos were received go to:http://www.yogile.com/gigistransplant#41m 

Please feel free to share this blog and the photo album.
Xoxo



Sent from my iPad

2 comments:

  1. Hi G! I'm so excited for you. It's finally happening!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to start my bike riding lessons ASAP!!!! Love you. Xoxox

    ReplyDelete